United Methodist Church of Desoto
Our church was formed in 1858 as the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our congregation first met in homes, then in the Desoto Hotel as membership increased. The first building was dedicated in 1870.
The bell outside our new facilities was purchased sometime between 1901 and 1903.
The church grew considerably through the 1920’s and a tent revival in 1927 brought “80 Souls to Christ.” They were baptized in the Kaw River. Gas and water were installed in the old building.
The second church building was built in 1942. Desoto purchasd the Prairie Center Church and moved it to town in two pieces. Additions were added 1953.
In 1983 the Church purhased the present 5 acre site. The first services were in June, 1991. A new Allen Organ was installed in 1995.
Milestones:•United Methodist Women’s group have been in continuous ministry since 1858.
•Sunday school organized in 1893.
•Youth program began as the Epworth League on May 6, 1894.
•Church Choir began in 1945.
•Boy Scouts organized in 1954 and continue to be sponsored by the church.
United Methodist Church
On April 23, 1968, The United Methodist Church was created when Bishop Reuben H. Mueller, representing The Evangelical United Brethren Church, and Bishop Lloyd C. Wicke of The Methodist Church joined hands at the constituting General Conference in Dallas, Texas. With the words, “Lord of the Church, we are united in Thee, in Thy Church and now in The United Methodist Church,” the new denomination was given birth by two churches that had distinguished histories and influential ministries in various parts of the world.